The Sony F55 CineAlta 4K Camera
We’d like to introduce the newest member of our camera line-up: the Sony F55. Sony recently released this 4K cinema camera, the latest in their cinema line-up headed by the F65. The F55 is a lightweight, compact camera that delivers quite a punch. This camera records internally to SxS Pro+ cards at 4K, 2K, or HD, or externally to AXSM cards in the AXS-R5 on board recorder at 4K or 2K RAW. Here’s a run-down of some of the other features the F55 offers:
– 14 stops of exposure latitude
– Built in behind-the-lens optical filters: clear, ND 0.9 and ND 1.8
– Average power: 12 V DC, approx. 25 W
– Super 35mm 4,096 x 2,160 CMOS sensor
– Electronic shutter (4.2 – 360 degrees)
– Camera body weight: 4 lb 14 oz; body size: 7 1/4” long x 4 7/8” high x 4 7/8” wide
– Global shutter
– Same Color Filter Array (CFA) as the F65
The Sony F55 is an excellent camera to use on it’s own or as a companion to the F65 when you are looking for a smaller, lighter camera. As with the F65, our Manager of Research and Development, Michael Kramer, has designed plates to be attached to the F55 that enhance its capabilities and make it even more user friendly.
Without further ado: the Keslow Camera Sony F55
Let’s take a look at the features we’ve added to the Keslow Camera Sony F55.
1) Our top low mode cheese plate provides multiple 3/8-16 and 1/4-20 mounting points plus comes self powered with industry standard 3 pin Fischer connectors providing 12V high-current output plus start/stop trigger for recording. No additional attachments are needed to power the top plate.
2) Our new front plate provides stability and a protective cover around the filter wheel, eliminating accidental changing of the internal filters. Additionally, the new front cover plate guards against accidental removal of the PL mount.
3) Our side cheese plate provides multiple 3/8-16 and 1/4-20 mounting points and converts the precariously positioned EVF/monitor connector to a new, more stable, professional-style 26 pin Lemo connector. The new side plate also features Keslow Camera’s proprietary multifunction Digital Voltage readout display that our clients have come accustomed to with our “Magic Box” accessory. This display features customizable splash screens that can display your Show Name and artwork, Director Name, Director of Photography, Camera ID, etc…. The possibilities are endless. This information displays for a user programmable amount of time. After the splash screen is displayed it goes into the default voltage reading which monitors your on-board battery voltage and block battery voltage separately and simultaneously.
4) Our new EVF bracket system can mount in multiple locations with quick and easy adjustment from studio mode to hand-held mode.
5) All three components assemble together providing major stability improvements while only adding an additional 1.4 lbs. With our system we’re able to still provide an extremely lightweight hand-held camera, balanced with added strength to its core for studio mode.
And they’re off!
Now that our Sony F55 cameras are ready to go, the next step is to start capturing amazing images. Cinematographer Claudio Miranda, ASC, is prepping at Keslow Camera for his next film, “Tomorrowland,” shooting on Sony F55 and F65. After seeing the beautiful images he captured on our Sony F65 cameras for “Oblivion,” we can’t wait to see what he creates with the F55. If you’re interested in trying out the F55 and/or F65 on your next project we’d be happy to show them off.